Monday, January 14, 2008

Growing Apples


My friend Erin and her father Noel are obsessed with the Honeycrisp apple. They have a wonderful nursery in North Carolina(http://www.weston-farms.com/weston.cfm), where the Honeycrisp won't grow, so I've agreed to grow apples for them upstate. I'm fine with the Honeycrisp.

It's a nice apple, though it's not charming my pants off. Quince does that for me. So we've decided I'll have some quince and some Honeycrisps, I'd also love to have a couple of other pear or apple trees. I'm just not so sure what to grow!

I went to the farmer's market in Union Square, I did a tasting. This confused me further. Each apple had such lovely individual characteristics, it was impossible to decide! I'll go again and talk to the farmers at the market today. If the farmers look friendly, I'll ask their advice, but I'd appreciate your input as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home