Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Farm Stand Goodness

These strawberries taste like someone grew them in powdered sugar instead of dirt. They told me to eat them or make them directly into jam. I've gobbled the whole quart. I think these were picked today and never refrigerated. Some things get strange in the fridge. I think even a few hours and the berries would have lost some strength in their perfume. I was looking for that farm stand experience. I'm really having it. It's not thin, not pretty and perfect. My fingers are stained and I'll probably get the runs later, it's a lot of strawberry for one girl! Apparently this can still be done. I am always wondering if the things that tasted good when I was young tasted that way because my taste buds were so keen, if the new experience of life was so vibrant, or if my memory improved the taste of things. I also sometimes think that the way farming and genetic engineering has changed flavors, they are somehow forever lost.

I wished for edible things to be growing around my house. I swear a magic raspberry bush appeared and this other bush suddenly sprouted red currants! Oops. On checking with my foraging book, not currants at all. Haven't eaten any, guess it's best to look.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home