Sunday, July 29, 2007

Tomato Sandwiches


This is the season where it is hard for me to eat anything outside of tomato sandwiches. I love tomatoes in season. I can't get enough of them. I eat them absolutely obsessively. I don't want to go out to dinner. I just want to eat the gorgeous tomatoes that I get from the greenmarket. They are bursting with flavors. They are intense, sometimes smokey, hyper-summer tasting.


The ugly tomatoes, the heirlooms are really diverse in their flavors. I dont know all their names. The green striped guys: Green Zebras are sort of citrusy. Black Brandywines, the deep brown red ones with tinges of green are smokey. The Peach tomatoes have slight fuzz on them and are delicately flavored.



I get crusty fresh bread, I slather on some wonderful real mayonaise, (Delouis fils fresh mayonnaise is rich and eggy)
I take a practically bursting, farm stand, often organic, heirloom tomato and I slice it into barbaric thick slabs.
I sprinkle the open sandwiches with sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and little bits of bush basil and sometimes a bit of sharp extra virgin olive oil.

Then I try to take a snapshot of each of them before I need to devour them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home